Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

Psalm 107:1 “ Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good. His love endures forever.”

So thankful to God for Jesus, Josh, Caroline, Clark, our family, friends, neighbors, church, health, house and other countless blessings. I definitely don’t deserve it.

Caroline brought home a little Thanksgiving craft from school and guess what she said she was thankful for? ‘I am thankful for my brother, Clark’ I love how much they love each other. About ten times a day Caroline will randomly say, ‘You know what Clark? I love you, because God made you!’ Clark respond by shaking his head and saying ‘yesss.’ Not only do they love each other, they sure know how to make a mess together! I was putting the vacuum cleaner back in the laundry room and came out to this:

_DSC0026

Thanksgiving Day Mimi and Papa John came to visit. Caroline was counting down the hours, minutes, and seconds. While I was doing some cooking she decorated some ‘place cards.’ Then helped me set the table. She was so proud to be helping.

_DSC0042_DSC0054

Mimi brought her Pumpkin Roll and Clark LOVED it!

_DSC0096_DSC0129_DSC0146_DSC0148

After lunch we took a little walk around the lake and of course played a little tag.

_DSC0165_DSC0182_DSC0187_DSC0224_DSC0289_DSC0295_DSC0298_DSC0325_DSC0337

Then Friday we went to Huntsville to visit my side of the family. This was our first Thanksgiving without my grandmother. We tried to replicate some of her delicious recipes, but no matter what…it will never taste as good as MawMaw Toline’s. My dad and I watched the home movies of my grandparents from when they lived in Hawaii in the 1950s for two years. Watching my grandmother as a mother, I was inspired. The happiness of her children, always exploring the beauty of the islands, enjoying simple pleasures, entertaining friends, throwing elaborate birthday parties for her children, the cakes she decorated, and the way she made the most of having four young children and living so far away from family. She was truly a remarkable woman and I am thankful to be her granddaughter. We all miss her, but are so very thankful for her life.

After lunch, the nephews challenged Uncle Cole to a fierce game of HORSE. It was intense.

_DSC0353_DSC0426_DSC0442_DSC0447_DSC0460

While the boys played basketball. Caroline got into all the dolls that Amanda and I were never even allowed to touch as children. She loved playing with those dolls.

_DSC0491_DSC0525

Caroline and Aidan are big buds, get along well, and played together the entire time without a fuss or fight.

_DSC0558_DSC0561_DSC0566_DSC0570_DSC0572

Clark, of course, was all into watching the boys play basketball. Carson and Ethan were so sweet to play with him and teach him how to bounce pass.

_DSC0590_DSC0586_DSC0594_DSC0595_DSC0598_DSC0628_DSC0630_DSC0635

So thankful that JuJu is finished with her radiation treatments. Thankful for the doctors that caught her cancer early and all the doctors and nurse who have taken such great care of her. She has been so strong, still working and working out daily. Very thankful for all the prayers on her behalf. In this picture, Caroline was trying to talk JuJu into letting her move in and go to work with her everyday.

_DSC0642

Also, so thankful that Cole got to come home for Thanksgiving. Always great to see Uncle Cole. He keeps us guessing as to what kind of facial hair he will be sporting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Thanksgiving post. We all have much to be thankful for.

Jamie Grizzle said...

I am glad you all had two great Thanksgivings! Those kids are yours are just too cute! I didn't know your mom had been diagnosed with cancer. So glad things are going well with her. I will pray that continues!