We are mourning the passing of my 91 year old wonder woman of a grandmother, Edith Evans McPherson Toline. One post will not due her justice. The impact she had on my life is profound. My thoughts are all very scattered at the moment, but here is what I have at the moment. I've pulled a few pictures to include as well.
In Sunday school we have been studying Romans. It is impossible to read Romans 12 without thinking of my beloved grandmother.
Verse 9: Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality
She loved God, loved her family, and loved others.
MawMaw loved my grandfather. They were still sweethearts after many, many years of marriage and still walked around holding hands.
She loved her church (never missed a service, tea, or shower).
My grandmother practiced hospitality. Her home was always open to others. She was a gifted cook and cake decorator.
Passionate and vivacious. She had a passion for people. Her life was others focused.
She visited the sick and hurting (and brought them homemade bread and sticky buns).
MawMaw made new-comers feel welcome. She loved introducing people.
Always was involved in her community, she was an active member of numerous clubs in town.
She encouraged others to do the right thing.
My grandmother spoke the Truth and stood for what she believed in.
MawMaw was quick to share her faith with any and everyone.
She finished strong.
She is missed.

Top row: Uncle Frank, Edith, Eric (dad), Doc (my PawPaw)
Bottom row: Uncle Robert, Aunt Lillian, Aunt Gail
The photo above stood in my grandparents living room and was taken before they were left to be stationed in Hawaii for several years.
Her life was not easy. Enduring hardships, tragedies, and loss; she never lost her zeal. She was a hard worker who organized her time wisely. She moved all around the country with five kids in tow while my grandfather was in the Navy. She always found a church in all her moves and her faith even helped bring my grandfather to the Lord. She was known for her delicious home cooked meals, a home open to others, and a devotion to her family. My grandmother was not perfect by any means, but did her best to impact the world for Him.
While attending her visitation I was overjoyed at hearing all of the stories and wonderful memories people shared with me about my grandparents. It is difficult to talk about my grandmother without mentioning my grandfather. (My grandfather passed away four days after Caroline was born.)They were one of a kind, unique individuals, devoted to each other, a team and it fills my heart with joy to think that they are united together once again.
I lived with them for awhile during college. I know I learned more from them than my formal education. They took an interest in my studies, my friends, and even my dating life! After meeting Josh for the first time at the University Center, my grandfather invited him for a Thursday afternoon lunch to get to know him better. Josh survived the incessant questions, enjoyed the lunch my grandmother lovingly prepared, and even asked me out again! I knew he had my grandmother's seal of approval when she baked him her famed Red Velvet Cake for his 21st birthday! Josh loved my grandparents, too.

This picture is of my grandfather, grandmother, and me at Chateau d'If off the Mediterranean coast in Marseille, France in June 2000.
At 80 and 81 years of age, my grandfather decided they needed to take me for over a month to France and Europe to meet our French relatives. What an adventure! That's another post for another day:)

My grandmother only had one sister, but many, many cousins. She loved them all dearly and throughout her entire life she kept in touch with them. Here were are Christmas of 2000 singing Christmas carols at her cousin Lula Fain's house in Franklin. (I'm in purple and my grandmother is in red).
My grandmother loved to sing. Singing Sunday at her church was one of her favorites.
She always requested the old hymn, Angry Words:
Angry words! O let them never,From the tongue unbridled slip,May the heart's best impulse ever,Check them ere they soil the lip.
Refrain
Love one another thus saith the Savior,Children obey the Father's blest command,Love each other, love each other,'Tis the Father's blest command.
Love is much too pure and holy,Friendship is too sacred far,For a moment's reckless folly,Thus to desolate and mar.
Refrain
Angry words are lightly spoken,Bitterest thoughts are rashly stirred,Brightest links of life are broken,By a single angry word.
Refrain
Caroline loves this song now, too and will request MawMaw Toline's favorite song at bedtime. My mom, dad, sister, and I had the privilege of going to see her before she passed. She had hematomas on her brain which made her speech limited. She knew who we were and even said "sweet girls" when she saw my sister and I. She also said 'love you' . Before we left my aunts, uncle, dad, sister, mom and I circled around her bed and sang several hymns to her. She smiled and seemed to try to sing along with us. I am thankful we had the opportunity to tell her that we love her and always will.
In Sunday school we have been studying Romans. It is impossible to read Romans 12 without thinking of my beloved grandmother.
Verse 9: Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality
She loved God, loved her family, and loved others.
MawMaw loved my grandfather. They were still sweethearts after many, many years of marriage and still walked around holding hands.
She loved her church (never missed a service, tea, or shower).
My grandmother practiced hospitality. Her home was always open to others. She was a gifted cook and cake decorator.
Passionate and vivacious. She had a passion for people. Her life was others focused.
She visited the sick and hurting (and brought them homemade bread and sticky buns).
MawMaw made new-comers feel welcome. She loved introducing people.
Always was involved in her community, she was an active member of numerous clubs in town.
She encouraged others to do the right thing.
My grandmother spoke the Truth and stood for what she believed in.
MawMaw was quick to share her faith with any and everyone.
She finished strong.
She is missed.

Top row: Uncle Frank, Edith, Eric (dad), Doc (my PawPaw)
Bottom row: Uncle Robert, Aunt Lillian, Aunt Gail
The photo above stood in my grandparents living room and was taken before they were left to be stationed in Hawaii for several years.
Her life was not easy. Enduring hardships, tragedies, and loss; she never lost her zeal. She was a hard worker who organized her time wisely. She moved all around the country with five kids in tow while my grandfather was in the Navy. She always found a church in all her moves and her faith even helped bring my grandfather to the Lord. She was known for her delicious home cooked meals, a home open to others, and a devotion to her family. My grandmother was not perfect by any means, but did her best to impact the world for Him.
While attending her visitation I was overjoyed at hearing all of the stories and wonderful memories people shared with me about my grandparents. It is difficult to talk about my grandmother without mentioning my grandfather. (My grandfather passed away four days after Caroline was born.)They were one of a kind, unique individuals, devoted to each other, a team and it fills my heart with joy to think that they are united together once again.
I lived with them for awhile during college. I know I learned more from them than my formal education. They took an interest in my studies, my friends, and even my dating life! After meeting Josh for the first time at the University Center, my grandfather invited him for a Thursday afternoon lunch to get to know him better. Josh survived the incessant questions, enjoyed the lunch my grandmother lovingly prepared, and even asked me out again! I knew he had my grandmother's seal of approval when she baked him her famed Red Velvet Cake for his 21st birthday! Josh loved my grandparents, too.

This picture is of my grandfather, grandmother, and me at Chateau d'If off the Mediterranean coast in Marseille, France in June 2000.
At 80 and 81 years of age, my grandfather decided they needed to take me for over a month to France and Europe to meet our French relatives. What an adventure! That's another post for another day:)

My grandmother only had one sister, but many, many cousins. She loved them all dearly and throughout her entire life she kept in touch with them. Here were are Christmas of 2000 singing Christmas carols at her cousin Lula Fain's house in Franklin. (I'm in purple and my grandmother is in red).
My grandmother loved to sing. Singing Sunday at her church was one of her favorites.
She always requested the old hymn, Angry Words:
Angry words! O let them never,From the tongue unbridled slip,May the heart's best impulse ever,Check them ere they soil the lip.
Refrain
Love one another thus saith the Savior,Children obey the Father's blest command,Love each other, love each other,'Tis the Father's blest command.
Love is much too pure and holy,Friendship is too sacred far,For a moment's reckless folly,Thus to desolate and mar.
Refrain
Angry words are lightly spoken,Bitterest thoughts are rashly stirred,Brightest links of life are broken,By a single angry word.
Refrain
Caroline loves this song now, too and will request MawMaw Toline's favorite song at bedtime. My mom, dad, sister, and I had the privilege of going to see her before she passed. She had hematomas on her brain which made her speech limited. She knew who we were and even said "sweet girls" when she saw my sister and I. She also said 'love you' . Before we left my aunts, uncle, dad, sister, mom and I circled around her bed and sang several hymns to her. She smiled and seemed to try to sing along with us. I am thankful we had the opportunity to tell her that we love her and always will.
***Pictures are posted below***
4 comments:
Alicia, I'm so sorry to hear about hte loss of your grandmother. Even though I never met her, I feel like I knew her through the amazing stories you shared with me. I will keep you guys in my prayers. Love you!
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know what it feels like to lose a family member. It's sad for those of us left behind but also what a joy and a peace it is to know that your grandmother is now in the presence of God! I know you will still miss her. Love you.
Alicia, what a sweet sweet blog post. I am so very sorry! I know you adored her and are feeling her loss tremendously. How kind if the Lord to put so many of MawMaw's distinctive qualities in your little Caroline. It will be so neat to see her continue to shine through that precious girl. Much love from us all!!!
What a wonderful write up on Mother!! She would be so pleased. Love you and give the children a big hug and kiss!!
Post a Comment