Welcome to Day 2 of the Noonday Blog Train. I just want to begin with a brief introduction. I am humbled and honored to be a Noonday Ambassador representing artisans around the world. Creating a marketplace for them in my hometown is such a privilege. Still not sure how I became an Ambassador when my credentials include: talkative, likes to tell stories and voted Best Dressed in High School. Y'all, I don't even know! I guess it just goes to show God can use ALL THINGS for His glory! So thankful for the founders of Noonday, the artisans and Ambassadors who use their God given talents, gifts, expertise, and treasure doing kingdom work; spending their time being 'a mover'. I just heard Jen Hatmaker speak a few days ago here in Birmingham and it renewed my passion for the Noonday vision and the over 1,000 artisans we represent. Jen asked so many tough questions that I am still wrestling to answer. Here is a sampling...What does it look like to follow Jesus in real life? Where did Jesus go? Who did Jesus spend time with? What keeps you up at night? What makes you say 'that's not right'? She closed with 'Jesus is close to the broken-hearted. That is where he is at work!'
It is midnight and I am writing this blog...so injustice, poverty, hunger, orphans and oppressed rate highest on my list. On my heart are the HIV positive ladies in Ethiopia who are ostracized by their families and society. Most resort to begging in order to survive. One of the ladies (I will never forget) has two small children and was hitting a large rock on the side of the road trying to make gravel to sell to support herself and children. As a mother this breaks my heart. The founders of the artisan group in Ethiopia asked these tough questions and said 'that's not right' and prayed for God to lead them to do more. They saw the greatest need was a consistent source of income. So they created the jewelry workshop using upcycled artillery from previous war conflicts (talk about using ALL things). The next greatest need is HIV treatment. This amazed me, but once those living with HIV are on the appropriate drug regime, the virus becomes undetectable in their bodies! So they ensure each artisan has the proper regime to keep them healthy.
Here's a little more info: In the mountains of Northern Ethiopia, farmers supply local bead makers with artillery shells discovered on their lands following former war conflicts. The village artisans melt down these shells using ancient techniques to create delicate beads. The final handcrafted beads are sent to the women of Entoto Mountain, who create the jewelry you now wear.
Remnants of former weapons of conflict are now upcycled pieces of redemption. Wearing these beads around my neck, on my wrist, or in my ears is a constant reminder of how He can use ALL THINGS for His glory! A story of true redemption! Please join me in prayer for the artisans in Ethiopia.
So I am giving away these gorgeous Tasseled Earrings made with love in Ethiopia. Leave a comment to win (this blog is low tech). I will post the winner on Friday, so check back to see if you have won!

"I have new dreams for my son," says 26 year old Embemebet. She has been working for Entoto making jewelry for 6 years. She came to the mountain 9 years ago when she discovered she was HIV positive. Unlike most women who come to the mountain from far away, Embemebet grew up in the capital city of Addis Ababa. Her journey wasn't very far to the mountain, but it was still a painful journey. Her previous husband didn't tell her he was HIV+ and she didn't find out until he passed away. Her current husband also came to the mountain to seek healing. They have been married 5 years and they have a miracle baby together, Yabsera, after suffering the loss of two babies before him.
Go and check out day one of the train at here.
Day three will be here. Hop in this train and win some of the great giveaways and hear the hearts of these sweet women.
Day three will be here. Hop in this train and win some of the great giveaways and hear the hearts of these sweet women.
49 comments:
This was such a great blog post. I'd love to travel to Ethiopia to meet these women in person one day. Thanks for sharing the Noonday love!
Love this and Monday!
***noonday. Silly autocorrect.
Wow, needed to hear that this morning. Have a nephew from Ethiopia, I have a soft spot in my heart for that country, and your post has my tears freely falling! THIS amazing organization is exactly what Tim Keller describes in "Generous Justice," my latest book that I'm loving.
Great post sweet friend!! I love that you are opening my eyes to the work that Noonday is doing. We know the love that precious Mama has for her son bc we share it, but how lucky are we to be absent of the challenges she faces.
So moving , a wonderful post!
Love these!
Great post! Love the earrings!
Beautiful earrings and a moving post!
Thank you so much for your work with Noonday!
Thoughtful post about some inspiring women. We as Americans have been given so much and just because we happened to be born here. I too am humbled. The earrings are lovely, but not as lovely as the women who make them. Thanks for being part of such a wonderful organization.
Thankful that He makes beautiful things out of the dust! What a wonderful way for us to help these women and give them hope, while we are reminded of our call to help others as Jesus did. I sure do love what Noonday is doing -it's not just a business. It's a ministry!
Oh my goodness, that is wonderful to hear about the women getting the treatment they DESERVE for their HIV. Noonday amazes me because of their true love for the oppressed. Thank you for this wonderful post today. :)
this is so fun! thanks for the chance to win noonday goodies! I love Noonday and everything it stands for!
Love the passion noonday has for these women and their families! Love these cute earrings too!
The pieces made in Ethiopia are some of my favorites! Both for their beauty, and for the redemptive store they tell.
Thanks for sharing. What a beautiful story.
Love this!
My brother and sister are from Ethiopia (in 2nd and 3rd grade and I am 26!) Their mother, Ayehu, is HIV positive and lives in the countryside of Ethiopia. Two summers ago, I went to Ethiopia for the 2nd time to meet Ayehu and bring her a picture book of her two kids. I never expected that a 30-year-old Ethiopian woman would be a part of our family. So thankful that my parents stepped out in faith and took these two lovable/hilarious/beautiful people into our family :)
I was introduced to noonday through Elizabeth and Noonday has really changed the way I shop. When I go to buy some jewelry I stop and say wait I could buy something from noonday instead and be helping a women in need! Plus the jewelry and accessories are amazing! I would love to win these earrings thank you for doing this. =)
Once again, the stories I hear about the women and men who make these beautiful creations really make me want to support Noonday. Receiving the products to wear is a bonus! I can think of someone in my family who would love these earrings, by the way!
I love how every Noonday item has an inspiring story behind it, and so many of us get to support these stories of redemption in such a unique way!
Love the redemptive story of the Ethiopian pieces! What was once used for harm is now used to restore! Thanks for the reminder today that our small purchases can make a huge impact on those who need it most!!!
So sad to think of all the lives lost to extreme poverty -- all the desperate mothers out there. If Noonday can help even one...it's worth it.
Noonday is doing so many wonderful things. It is very moving to hear the stories of these lovely people. THank you for representing such a wonderful company (and for doing a giveaway).
Thank you for posting your blog! God has gifted you with such a servant heart. I'm praying the women in Ethiopia can feel the love we have for them! God is using them in big ways to shine for Him. :) Love the earrings, Love Noonday!
Love these and love Noonday!
- Kristin
Great post. Love the earrings!
I love noonday and the heart Jessica and all her fab ambassadors have for the people who create such beautiful items!
Jill
A friend of mine introduced me to Noonday and I'm so excited to be a part of it. Love hearing the great work. Thank you!
Love the earrings! Love Noonday!
Thank you for sharing this story. I love learning more about Noonday!
Love Noonday and love these earrings!
Wow. That's all I can say! This story is truly amazing and even more amazing how it shows how God is using y'all to help these precious people on Ethiopia. Bless you for all that you do! It's amazing how He provides for them and us! I loved the way you feel towards wearin the jewelry and constantly being reminded of just how God takes care of us! I will do the same! :)
Love the Noonday spirit and the beautiful work!
I'm moved by the Ethiopian pieces every time I see them. The story of restoration and redemption is powerful!
Beautiful!! Thank you for sharing
I would love to win those earrings! :-)
Those are one of my favorite pairs of earrings. My fingers are crossed. xo!
Love this! We adopted our daughter from Ethiopia so the pieces crafted there are especially near and dear to my heart!
Beautiful story and beautiful earrings! Love your post!
The stories are so beautiful. Even more beautiful than the creations. What better way to have people than to give them the opportunity to show the world what they can do with just a little help. Love my jewelry and my bags.
Thank you so much for offering such a lovely and generous giveaway.
Cindy Aiton
clogzilla(at)yahoo(dot)com
wonderful post girl. it always is such a huge reality check to see poverty firsthand, but then when you think about also facing so many difficulties w/ HIV, I struggle to truly feel empathy since i'm so removed. but i suppose striving for that and sharing stories and working for ways to help them improve their lives is a good start. & I'm always low-tech w/ giveaways as well.
Cuddly Cacti
Mitla Moda
This is such a touching post. I have never been huge on jewelry before but reading this post truly makes me consider selling this stuff. I love the heart behind this company! These earrings are great and what a great starter piece to tell the redemptive story of Christ in our lives with the redemptive story of using these beads that were once articles of war to now be precious jewelry to someone.
Post a Comment