Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Santa Shakes

Where to begin...my mom has pictures of my siblings and I with Santa every year of our childhood that she displays each Christmas. In some pictures we are happy, some sad, but they are always cute nonetheless. So Thursday before last, I dressed Caroline up in her little Christmas dress and headed to Brookwood Mall. I called Josh to see if he wanted to meet us there, he had too much work to do, but checked the times for me on the internet and said 'wow, you have to hurry Santa goes on a lunch break in 14 minutes.' We were half way there so I decided I wouldn't put Caroline in her stroller, I would just carry her in QUICKLY and get the photo w/Santa. Tick, tock, there were 7 minutes to spare when we pulled into the parking garage. So I kept saying, okay Caroline can we do it...let's see if we can make it. I now realize this may have been a bit stressful for her considering she is rarely if ever hurried. So, we walked up there second in line and Caroline was just smiling and waving at everyone. I thought, this will be a great a little 5x7 of her first visit w/Santa. I knew she'd love Santa, she loves having her picture taken, she loves people, she loves men, and is especially intriqued by men w/beards (my brother Cole and Uncle Mike). It was our turn, so I placed her on Santa's lap (a really nice elderly gentleman) and the SANTA SHAKES began. We tried everything...he tried to read her a little book, have her play w/a candy cane, she just wanted OUT of his lap. She was literally shaking like a leaf. I had never seen her so scared. I felt horrible and was fully prepared to pay the $12.50 of a crying picture w/Santa when to photographer suggested I sit cozily beside Santa to make her feel more at ease. So I did, sat in Santa' chair right beside him w/Caroline. Here is the picture, if you see a heather sweater and brown pants...that's me!
 

Caroline's first picture with Santa.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I love it! Last year I am in the picture with Nathan. Not just my leg, but my face and all. He's screaming and Santa and I are smiling at the camera! Great memories!!

Joni said...

Oh it is SOO cute. That is great you can't tell you are in the picture and she is just fine!

The Penter Family said...

that is a PERFECT picture and you can't even tell you are in the picture unless you know to look. what a funny story...i've never seen her cry before EVER...with the exception of the one time she was here and hit herself in the face :)